Choose an action that corresponds with your ‘activist priority’ and do your bit to resist today! Every little action helps and it’s the little things that can have the most impact.
Advocate for Education
Action 1: Advocate for kids’ rights to a quality public education. Call: Your three MoCs (lookup or leave message). Script: “Hi. I’m a constituent from _ZIP_ concerned about public education in the upcoming budget. I am calling to let _NAME_ know I want three things:
- That no taxpayer money funds any religious education.
- That we honor all agreements to students working off loans in service programs.
Advocate for Immigrant Rights
Action 2: Oppose ICE funding until it has more oversight (hat tip). Call: All 3 MoCs (lookup or leave message). Script: I am calling from _ZIP_ to express concerns about Immigration and Customs Enforcement. ICE’s tactics are making communities and workplaces less safe. This is unacceptable. This agency needs oversight and accountability in its duties, and clear deportation priorities. I am asking _NAME_ to not approve any funds to ICE until these two changes are made. Thanks.
Advocate for Healthcare
Action 3: Comment on the fiscal aspects of the ACHA by May 23 (hat tip). Email: HealthReform@Finance.senate.gov Script: Write Orrin Hatch, chairman of the Senate Finance committee, starting with, “I am a stakeholder as a (patient, provider, employer, or thought leader).” Then give your opinion on healthcare-related taxes, health savings accounts, Medicaid, and tax credits to buy health insurance.
Action 4: Tell your senators what you do want your health coverage to include. Call: Both of your senators, red or blue (lookup or leave message). Script: Hi. I’m from _ZIP_ calling about healthcare. The current bill is not healthcare, so I want my senator to fight for five important things:
- No gender discrimination.
- No lifetime caps.
- To cover all pre-existing conditions.
- To cost less than $X per month per person.
- And to insist health insurance companies decrease costs.
Tell a story about why one of these is important to you, personally. Finally, if Sen. _NAME_ supports Republican plans to repeal the ACA, I will work hard to elect his/her opponent in the next election cycle. Thanks!
Action 5: Continue asking Governor Jerry Brown to support California’s bill for single-payer healthcare. Script: ‘I am calling from _ZIP_ to express my support for California’s bill for single-payer healthcare. I, as a constituent, ask you to continue your support and advocacy on behalf of this bill.’
Advocate for a Fair Investigation of Russian Ties to the 2016 Election
Update: While a special counsel was appointed to investigate the Trump-Russia connection, this investigation is still answerable to the DOJ and could be hamstrung by the Trump administration. Action 6: Ask Senator Feinstein and Senator Harris for a separate independent investigation, and urge Harris to utilize her position on the intelligence committee as means of upholding justice. Script/Write: ‘As a constituent I must ask you to advocate for a separate independent investigation, so we have a better chance at honest, transparent and public results.’ Script/write (Senator Harris): ‘As a constituent I must ask you to advocate for a separate independent investigation, so we have a better chance at honest, transparent and public results; and, I urge you to use your power on the intelligence committee to issue new subpoenas and ensure that Michael Flynn and other complicit Trump campaign officials comply with existing subpoenas.’
Advocate for Bipartisanship/ Swing Left
Action 7: Advocate for bipartisanship. Write: A postcard to your 3 MoCs (lookup). Script: Riff on this sentiment: Americans are tired of polarization and nastiness. Your constituents are counting on you to lead with character and courage, which means reaching across the aisle to collaborate and compromise. Stop trying to win and start serving your constituents.
Action 8: Support Democratic representation in traditionally Republican regions. Help Montana elect Rob Quist (donate or volunteer). Election: May 25. Help Georgia elect Jon Ossoff (donate or volunteer). Election: June 20.
Action 9: Swing Left (This action takes more than a few minutes, but very helpful!) Act: Use your writing or research talents by contributing to Swing Left Swing Left
- Double win: We now have special counsel for the Russia investigation, and he’s a professional, ethical human.
- The EPA received over 55,000 comments—a majority of which oppose repealing protections for people and planet.
- Rep. Ted Lieu proposed legislation to make the president reimburse self-profiting expenses from travel.
- 45 has made journalism great again.
- Official plans announced to fix VW diesel engines.
- LA mayor will uphold Paris Agreement, even if the US backs out.
- A former inmate helps women rebuild their lives.
- Military museum in SC honors dogs who serve.
- Even more celebrations at Peace is Loud.
- Indivisible met with State Senator Scott Wiener a few weeks ago to ask him to do more for women’s and reproductive rights and Planned Parenthood. His staff let us know that he plans to co-sponsor SB 743, which protects MediCal coverage of family planning services, and to meet with Planned Parenthood to talk about how he can help them.
For the full version, Sign up to receive this weekly checklist.
For more on Indivisible, see our site’s resources.