Next Meeting – April 4, 7pm, at Excelsior Library.
Group Action: we will write “Ides of tRUMP” postcards on Monday, 3/13, 7pm, at Pissed Off Pete’s, 4528 Mission, between Santa Rosa and Harrington. Bring supplies of pens, postcards, stamps if you have them but most importantly, bring a friend.
The next San Francisco DCCC meeting will be March 22, 6:30 pm, 140 Multi-Use Bldg at City College.
Agenda – Actions and Staying Motivated!
- Introductions: Name and recent positive actions
“Activism itself can generate hope because it already constitutes an alternative and turns away from the corruption at center to face the wild possibilities and the heroes at the edges or at your side. . . Joy doesn’t betray but sustains activism. And when you face a politics that aspires to make you fearful, alienated and isolated, joy is a fine initial act of insurrection.”
Rebecca Solnit, Hope in the Dark, at 24.
- Current Issues/Concerns/Effective Resistance Ideas
- Protect Immigrant Communities
- Protect ACA
- Protect Planned Parenthood and reproductive rights
- Protect the environment
- Protect the social safety net
- Sessions must resign
- Get rid of Bannon
- Lobby against Gorsuch
Recommended by Stand Up San Francisco:
- Call Sen. Feinstein (415-393-0707) to demand the resignation of Jeff Sessions and a full investigation of Trump’s ties to Russia. If you can’t reach her office by phone, send an email.
- Call Sen. Harris (415-355-9041) to thank her for calling for Sessions’ resignation and tell her that you want her to keep pushing until it happens. If you can’t get through, email her.
- Call Rep. Pelosi (415-556-4862) to thank her for demanding Sessions’ resignation and an independent investigation of Trump’s ties to Russia. Tell her you have her back. Email her here.
- Call both senators and tell them to vote NO on H.J. Resolution 36, which would scrap critical protections against methane pollution from oil and gas drilling on public lands. Learn more.
- Thank all three reps for their leadership in standing against ACA repeal.
- Call both senators and tell them not to let the GOP gut our gun laws. Tell them you oppose concealed carry reciprocity.
Actions with other groups
The ACLU is launching a grassroots organizing arm, People Power. If you’re interested in being part of effective and safe protests, sign up for their March 11 Resistance Training.
March 11, attend a demonstration at the Russian Consulate led by Get Up Stand Up SF Indivisible, and make your voice heard in favor of an independent investigation of Russian interference in the election.
- Our sister organization Indivisible SF has launched an app, Amplify, to help you make action a habit. It’s updated each week with their list of actions, and you can view call scripts and call Members of Congress right from the app. You can also see actions taken by others, and press the “cheer” button to cheer them on.
- Search the app store (iPhone or Android) for “Amplify by Civic Tools”
- Open the app and tap ‘create new account’ to sign up
- Join the Indivisible SF team using the invite code 101-202-303
- Cheer someone on and/or take an action!
- Goal of our group
Actionable Items – Can we each commit to 3 to 5 items and spread the word on these?
Some ideas to think about: lens of true equality, intrinsic human rights, safety for all, deepen relationships across differences, show up for each other, understand what we are up against, transform systems to reflect our values
- Open Jobs
We want to have at least 2 on each job as support and backup
- Coordinator- need 1 or more
- Email Support: 1 more
- Congressional Office Tracking for Speier, Pelosi and Feinstein
- Press Contact
- Meeting Minutes
- Track legislation (see attached)
- Share information and resources – See Resource List on Google Doc
- See Jane Resist Facebook page and group (facebook.com/seejaneresist)
- Google docs document for Resources
- Indivisible San Francisco (indivisiblesf.org)
- Stand Up SF (standupsf.net)
- Bay Resistance (text RESIST to 41411 or bayresistance.org)
- Rapid Response Network Training – several trainings have been held to stand in solidarity with our immigrant communities– check Faith in Action Bay Area– protects immigrant rights (facebook.com/faithinactionbayarea) or
- SFILEN (sfilen.org)
Swing Left – CA 10 info
- Swing Left – Bay Area for Turning CA 10 Blue – Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483315651709077/
- CA 10 Research Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mDh5_n2uuCkajdX2sBXDy5uEK0Bt6HhR8kYY-BiJYKA/edit#heading=h.7lc4ct1eembh
- Learn about www.Knockeverydoor.com on Sunday, 3/12
12 pm PT/3 pm ET – Register here: https://tinyurl.com/zc69w2w
4 pm PT/7 pm ET – Register here: https://tinyurl.com/h998uzk
- March 11, 2017 – 1:30 pm – ACLU Resistance Training People Power Event – sign up and see map at map.peoplepower.org – Know Your Rights, Protecting the ACA, Protecting immigrant communities
- March 13, 2017 – ACLU Due Process for All Webinar on immigrant rights – at 3 pm www.BIT.LY/dueprocess4allca.
- March 13, 2017 – Post card writing event for Ides of March – Meet at Pissed Off Pete’s Bar (4528 Mission Street) at 7 pm with postcards and stamps to send pink slips to Trump!
- March 15, 2017 – Action in Sacramento to protect immigrant rights – Leave SF at 7:30 am, return at 6 pm – Meet at 15th and Julian St to take a bus. Also see ACLU sign-up at t: http://bit.ly/ResistMarch15.
- March 26, 2017 – 1 pm to 6 pm -Theatre of the Oppressed – uses theater games and provides workshop to build group cohesiveness and techniques to protect immigrant families from ICE incursions – Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Redwood City – 23124 Brewster Avenue, Redwood City. Free, donation requested. Register at http://bit.ly/TO 2017-03-26
- See Jane Resist – Monthly Meeting 4/4/17 at 7 pm (hopefully at Excelsior Library)
- April 15, 2017 – Tax March – taxmarchsf.eventbrite.com; facebook.com/taxmarchsf or
- April 22, 2017 – Science March – facebook.com/MarchforScienceSF or marchforsciencesf.com
- April 29, 2017 – People’s Climate March San Francisco – peoplesclimate.org/sister-marches/
- May 1, 2017 – A Day Without Immigrants and General Strike – facebook.com/adaywithoutimmigrantssf
Important State Bills – www.leginfo.legislature.ca.gov
- CA – SB 54: California Values Act – protects safety and well-being of all Californians by ensuring that state and local resources are not used to fuel mass deportations, separate families, or divide Californians on the basis or race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, immigration status or national or ethnic origins. (Sign letters of support!)
- Assembly Bill 3, introduced by Assemblymember Rob Bonta, D-Oakland, would create state-funded centers to train public defenders and other defense attorneys on immigration law.
- Senate Bill 6, by Sen. Ben Hueso, D-San Diego, would create a state program — much like a public defender program — for those facing deportation.
- AB 291 – by Assemblymember David Chiu -The Immigrant Tenant Protection Act of 2017 would bar landlords from disclosing or threatening to disclose a tenant’s immigration status, prohibit the use of immigration status at any point during an eviction case, and give tenants the right to sue landlords who report them to immigration authorities.
Federal Bills – http://www.congress.gov/legislation
- S349 -U.S. Senator Kamala D. Harris, a member of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs, introduced her first piece of legislation today, the Access to Legal Counsel Act, to ensure that those held or detained while attempting to enter the United States, whether at a border crossing or a port of entry, be guaranteed access to legal counsel.
- HR861 Terminate EPA
- HR 610 Vouchers for Public Education
- HR 899 Terminate Department of education
- HJR 69 Repeal rule protecting wildlife in Alaska– now in Senate, passed house
- HR 370 Repeal Affordable Care Act
- HR 354 Defund Planned Parenthood
- HR785 National Right to Work (ends Unions)
- HR 83 Mobilizing Against Sanctuary Cities (but support HR 748)
- HR 147 Criminalizes abortion (prenatal nondiscrimination act)
- HR808 Sanctions against Iran
Contacts and Websites – See Jane Resist Contact Information
Facebook Page: (please share and help us grow this) https://www.facebook.com/seejaneresist/
Facebook Group: (private group for members) https://www.facebook.com/groups/seejaneresist/
Google Group email address(if you are a member and want to message the group or add/invite people to the group): email@example.com
https://www.indivisibleguide.com/ – download guide
https://www.indivisibleguide.com/action-calendar – calendar of events
VoteSmart.org to see how MoC voted
OpenSecrets.org to see who contributes toMoC
Aclu.org (local chapter)
https://www.resistancemanual.org/ – has a great breakdown of issues by category. Open source
https://5calls.org – 5 Calls — gives you 5 calls to make each day.
https://www.runforsomething.net – helping young people get off the sidelines and into the leadership pipeline
http://nooneleft.org/who-we-are/about/ – helping obtain special immigration visas
www.swingleft.com – group focused on turning House blue
The United State of Women – www.theunitedstateofwomen.org/
Bay Area Rapid Response
Text to 41411 the word RESIST. Get immediate updates on all actions in the Bay Area
Other Resist Groups
We discussed how these 4 major tools developed by Soviets to control their people. I think you will see some similarities as to what is going on in the world right now.
- #reflexivecontrol – Control (controlling the information seen by an opponent so that he acts either against his own interests, or in predictable ways that can then be taken advantage of.)
- #maskirovka – Mask (“disguise, distract, deny”)
- #demoralizatsia – Demoralize (encouraging a retreat into apathy by filling conversations with noise)
4. #activemeasures – what we would generally think of as traditional spycraft: blackmail, extortion, assassination, planting of evidence, etc.